To ensure objectivity, quality and diversity, the Frans Masereel Centrum works with a selection committee, consisting of the director of the Frans Masereel Centrum, the studio coordinators, and several external art professionals and artists. The selection is made through a number of criteria.
How to sign up?
Applying is done digitally and in English via the online application form, where you can also upload your files.
Besides an artist statement (about your work in general) and a project proposal (stating the intended goals and purposes of your stay, as well as your motivation), the application should also contain documentation of recent work (dating back no longer than 5 years) and a brief CV.
Note: Max. 10 MB per file
The selection committee will assess your application based on the following criteria:
- the quality of your work, your artist’s attitude, and ambition, your visual and reflective skills as well as your desire and capacity to experiment and challenge your practice
- the meaning and relevance of your proposal for your residency at the Frans Masereel Centrum
- your motivation
The outcome of the selection procedure will be communicated mid-August.
The cost of 350 euro per week includes accommodation, sheets and towels, and the use of the workshop and basic materials. Specific inks and paper should be brought along. For more information about the general conditions please read the Frans Masereel Centrum house rules (which you can find here or in our information brochure that we send you after you're selected).
- Artists working together, need to apply separately, and mention the name of the artist they're working with. The fee is also to be paid separately (p.p.) for the entire period.
- The languages of communication at the Frans Masereel Centrum are Dutch and English. We expect you to master the English language sufficiently to be able to converse and collaborate with fellow residents and staff members.
- The only way to sign up for a residency is via the online application form, and not by email.